Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

What Are You Putting in Their Hand? - Relevant Ministry

Recently, I attended a seminar that focused on teamwork in regards to church and church leaders.
One of the most striking statements that I took away from this event was this...

(paraphrase) Individuals will not return or continue to return to a event, service or ministry unless we have placed something of value into their hands. I have thought about that statement and realized how true it is. Every book I read and every speaker I listen to, I have one priority question. How can I use this right now?

Even with my limited experience, I have identified three things that people need from our ministries.

People need applicable ideas that are:
  1. Profound - Ideas that are apart from individual norms. Change comes from ideas that are either different from what we have already been doing or comes from increasing or eliminating that which we already do.
  2. Proven - Quite simply - Does this idea work? What is this idea or concept based on?
  3. Practical - The idea has to be something that everyone can apply to their lives. I once heard a speaker at a marriage conference say that everyone should treat their spouse to a 7 day cruise to Mexico. Great idea, except over 90% of those couples in attendance could not afford such a grand excursion.
Whatever the ministry, from Childrens' ministry to Seniors' ministry, we should make every effort to provide an opportunity for everyone in attendance to take away something that meets these three criteria.

We should ask ourselves, what do people need today? That is always relevant!

No comments: