Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Goals - Dream Big!


In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Prov 16:9 NIV


I have often been told that I have done a lot of things in my life. True, I have experienced a great deal of diversity in the workplace, my interests and, yes, the things I've been thrown into.

However, for most of my life, there has always been one directional intent. Serving God by helping people.


As I reflect on my life, I can remember the times when I seemed to be way off course. It's amazing how your perspective changes after you have been through or experienced something. Everything I have experienced has molded me and prepared me for the goal that God has intended for my life.


I love what I am doing in life. I love being a staff pastor. I love watching Christ work in people's lives. However, I have become somewhat content in this aspect of my life. I have planned my course, but have completely fallen in love with one of the God-ordained steps in that course.

Am I going to cease being a staff pastor? Not in the foreseeable future. However, for accountability, I am revealing a goal to keep myself moving through the steps God has for me.


I want to complete a D. Min degree in pastoral counseling by the time I turn 50. I have 7 - 1/2 years to complete this goal. A social media acquaintance of mine, Chilly Chilton, said this, "A goal is a dream with a deadline." If I want my dream to come true, it needs a deadline. So, May 28, 2017 is my deadline.


Robin and I also have a dream. We dream of a retreat center to which hurting couples can come and be ministered to, regardless of financial status. It's a dream and somehow and in some way, God will enable us to make it a goal.


What are you dreaming about? How can adding a deadline turn your dream into a goal? Make your plans and be prepared for the steps that God will determine for you.






No comments: