Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"That Had Better Be The Start of a Prayer"


Ex 20:7 NLT

"Do not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name."


We've all heard it. Most of us have probably said it. However, I believe we are beginning to hear it and, more often, read it far too often.


When I worked as a counselor at the group home, the residents soon learned that the quickest way to get a demerit on their charts from me was to utter those three little Words. "Oh, my God". At first, whenever I heard it, I would stop, bow my head and wait for them to continue praying - only to look up and catch their puzzled stare. After that initial time, My response would always be, "That had better be the start of a prayer." A few ornery boys would quickly turn it into a impromptu and feeble attempt.


What concerns me most is when many Christians, those who bear that same name and call upon that name as our Father, still do this without a thought. The Bible contains the phrase - "the name of the Lord" 99 times. This is the same name that brought everything into existence, brought fire from heaven and gave us a complete - once and for all- sacrifice so that we can have eternal life. There is power in that name! Yet it is carelessly used in everyday conversation.
Today, in social media we see the abbreviated version of the vain use of God's name - "omg". It shows up in the online posts daily. An old Mennonite farmer heard me say, "oh my gosh" one time and immediately corrected me. "Young man, the intent of your heart is still the same, you just changed the word to soothe your conscious." I have never forgot that.
I think Jesus said it best as he taught his disciples and, subsequently, us to pray...
Matt 6:9 NLT
"Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored. "
God's name is so much more than a word or expression. Let's honor it!

No comments: