Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

"Good"

"Why do you call me good ?" Jesus answered. "No one is good — except God alone."
Mark 10:18-19 NIV

Last night after church I went to the hospital to be with my mother. When I arrived at her bedside, I placed one hand on her forehead and grasped her hand with my other hand. She welcomed my cold hands on her warm forehead. I was more than willing to do whatever I could to make her more comfortable; however, what she said to me was unexpected. She opened one eye, focused it on me and told me that I had always been a good son. While I talked with her, anointed her with oil and prayed with her, I couldn't block out the memories of those times in my life when I would not have considered myself a good son. Apparently, the definition of good is highly subjective, at least, between my mother and I.

The moment was bittersweet - the words she spoke and the tone in which she spoke them, both seemed to be similar to what is depicted in the movies between a mother and son in their final moments together on earth. However, as we prayed, she was praising Jesus and thanking him for his blessings in her life.

As I sat a watched her sleep today, I wondered if, last night, I experienced a small glimpse into how God views us as his blood bought and covered children. Even with all my faults and failings, my mother still loves me and called me a good son. Why? It is because she paid a price for me by investing a large portion of her life into me and she looks at me through the lens of that price.

It's the same for God, he looks at every born again believer and sees the price he paid and the covering that he bought with the blood of his son, Jesus Christ. Even when we don't consider ourselves good, if we are faithful, we will one day hear him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" Matt 25:21 NIV

Mom is still in need of Christ's healing touch and the prayers of his people; however, today was slightly better than yesterday for her. God is good!

No comments: