Pages

Friday, March 6, 2009

Are You Practicing The Presence?


Jesus said, "I know. I saw Satan fall, a bolt of lightning out of the sky. See what I've given you? Safe passage as you walk on snakes and scorpions, and protection from every assault of the Enemy. No one can put a hand on you. All the same, the great triumph is not in your authority over evil, but in God's authority over you and presence with you. Not what you do for God but what God does for you—that's the agenda for rejoicing." Luke 10:18-20 The Message


Have you ever felt so bogged down in church programs and strategy that you felt the joy of serving the Lord begin to wane? Planning, strategizing and organization are all good and needed; however, when these things get in the way of being in the presence of God, then we and the church suffers.
Nothing is more powerful, strengthening and provides more clarity of mind than being in the presence of God. In our human strength, we can accomplish some things - maybe even very well for a season, but a foundation built on human abilities and attributes will crumble sooner or later.
One afternoon this week, I was sitting in the office feeling frustrated over the tension between what I wanted to accomplish and what I was actually accomplishing. Finally, I left the office and went into the sanctuary and experienced the fresh presence of the Lord. I came out with a much different mind-set than I had when I went in. Even though I take the time to do this daily, sometimes daily simply is not enough.
I love how The Message says that our triumph is not in our authority, but in God's authority over us and presence with us.
OK Dave. Remember the plan. Pray More! Think Less! Remember that it is not about me and all about Jesus and people. God, may I always willingly place myself under your authority and be in your presence daily!

No comments: