Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Time



One of my favorite lines from a Star Trek movie (yes, I like Star Trek) is, "Time is the fire in which we burn." This fall will mark the beginning of my fourth year in college. It seems like an absurd amount of time has gone by since I stepped into that first class in 2004. It also seems like I should be finished, instead, I face, at least, another year to complete my bachelors degree. Even then, in the field of counseling, a Bachelors is considered a prep degree, as one must obtain a Masters to work professionally in the field.

I predict that I'm going to find it difficult, again, to juggle the demands on my time when school begins in September. This year, I became part of a volunteer staff at a new church. Because of this, it was my intention to only take two courses this fall, knowing that doing so would affect my school grants and financial aid. However, I didn't expect that dropping to a part-time status would decimate my grant awards leaving me to rely solely on loans. Ouch!

There is a part of me that, ashamedly, wants to quit chasing the proverbial rabbit called a degree. However, there is a larger part of me that wants to keep pushing through. I've decided to follow that larger and stronger part of me that wants those degrees very much. More importantly, doing so would be in obedience to the calling that God has placed on my life. I just registered for another full-time semester.

Time management has become increasingly hard for me. Recently, I've been working on a schedule that will allow me to be all that I need to be if I remain disciplined as a Husband, Father, Provider, Volunteer Associate Pastor and student. I'm going to do my very best and trust God to enable me to do each well. Time will tell!

No comments: