Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Importance of Discipleship - Dividing The Word of Truth

Matt 28:19-20 NIVTherefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

I have been quite reserved in the expression of any opinion in regard to the Lakeland revival - first, out of a lack of interest and then, out of the fear of offending anyone.In recent months, I have spoke with a couple of individuals who went to Florida and attended the services. It was apparent that they had indeed experienced something incredible. However, when viewing footage of the services, I had some questions.

In light of the recent announcements from Florida, my questions have multiplied. I am not to say by what power the Lakeland revival has been operating. I haven't been there. God will, in fact, use who and what He wills to work through. However, when I hear words and phrases like, "new revelation", I get a little squeamish.

Today, more than ever, we need to know God's Word and use it to "test the spirits". I fear that we are part of a generation that can, increasingly, be deceived. Discipleship Classes are starting in September for our entire church. Young and old, new believers and life-long Christians alike will sit side by side as we go through the 16 Fundamental Truths of The Assemblies of God. I believe Bible doctrine needs to be revisited on a regular basis. What are you doing to "rightly divide the Word of Truth and teach sound doctrine?

No comments: