Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Last Shift - Ponderings at the end of another chapter.

Sitting here in a familiar chair in the living room of the group home, I can't deny that I'm a bit excited. It's my last shift. For over a year, I have been working a 24-hour weekend shift watching up to 14 teen boys, including a few who have decided to "take me on" with fists, chairs and even a fork (I still have scars from that one). While there have been times when I truly enjoyed my work as a counselor, it was those more numerous times, being the corrections officer, that I came to dread.

It has been saddening to witness the damage that family dysfunction, parental neglect and abuse causes in young lives. I could write papers on the relationship of nurture to the well being of children. Beyond the physical scars, the emotional wounds that many of these boys have suffered leads me to reaffirm my belief that only God could heal them.

However, there is a problem. A friend of mine once told me a profound fact. Spiritual truths will bounce off of a wounded heart. Wow, is that ever true. The Christian staff can witness, model and journey with these boys for years and sometimes one boy will begin to have a hint of the truth in his eyes. Most; however, while being able to quote entire chapters of the Bible, will still act in the same manner that earned them a court placement here.

Too often, as Christians, we forget that it is Christ's work in one's heart that heals wounds. While our attempts and actions may help to lead someone in that direction, the healing is all God. Sadly, until one accepts Christ and allows Him to heal their heart, our efforts often go unrealized in our eyes. Yes, there are the seed-planting analogies and, indeed, we must do our part for the Kingdom; however, the toll it takes on the staff, the community and society is great.

Perhaps the best way to defend the children of the future is in strengthening marriages and families, which is one of my callings and passions. I am looking forward to how God will continue to lead.

No comments: