Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

So, You Want to Lead?

Remember Recess? Ah, that short period of time during our elementary school days, spent playing kickball, freeze tag, red rover and various other games. Fun stuff! I remember one game, in particular, in which everyone that wanted to play had to follow the lead of one particular person - doing whatever he/she did, well, to the best of our ability. It was called 'Follow the Leader". It was never as fun as the other games. It wasn't long before someone would get tired of following and declare their desire to be the leader. Typically, this was followed by either a verbal exchange or a fight. The leader wanted to keep his/her position and the followers wanted some say in the course of the game. Kids!

But what if this is more than just a "kid" problem? What then? Has this problem found its way into our homes and churches? Sadly, I believe it has.

I remember, a few years back, an acquaintance of mine named Earl Creps wrote a blog post entitled "Leading From the Middle." I was instantly intrigued. The post went completely against the flow of everything I was seeing, reading and experiencing around me at that time.

You see, leadership is far more than just a title on a card, plaque, sign or letterhead. It involves a great many responsibilities and the first responsibility on the list is being a servant. Jesus himself said it...

"If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."
Mark 9:35 NIV


In our churches, the pastor is a leader. I like how the Bible uses the analogy of a shepherd and sheep to relate to a pastor and the church.

Years ago, I used to deliver feed to farms. One day, I delivered several ton of sheep feed to a particular farm. While unloading the feed I asked the farmer if the sheep knew his voice and followed him. To my amazement he just looked at me and laughed. He went on to explain that to guide sheep one has to walk beside them, tapping them gently with the rod. The only time a farmer will get in front of sheep is when he wants them to go away from him. That lesson has stuck with me.

If a leader wants to lead the people entrusted to him, he/she must walk with them, know them and be a part of them. If a leader is too far out front, he/she will not be in touch with the people who, really do want to learn from and be equipped by him/her.

By positioning oneself within the group of people that one leads, every person in that group has the opportunity to “see the leader's heart". I used the word “see” because most often, leadership isn't verbal. Don't you think the disciples might have been a little incredulous as to the importance of being a servant if Jesus would have merely told them to wash someones feet?

So, you want to lead? Please realize that our leadership ability is vastly determined by our willingness to be, first and foremost, a servant. Knowing that, we realize that our purpose is far greater than our position.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! It is so true. I love how you said that leadership is not just verbal. It's so true that many times we see leadership as verbal and telling people what to do and what needs done. You never realize how much just your actions can effect what people do.

Mark Ryder said...

Good word, Dave. I needed that.

Anonymous said...

Also, if you don't know each of your sheep personally you won't know the best way to guide them, because each one may handle a situation differently.

Dave Kidd said...

Mark, Thank you but I wrote that as much to remind myself as anybody.

Anonymous, Great insight! Thanks for sharing!