Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Kamikaze Crappies

Many moons ago, I used to guide on the local reservoirs - taking clients out fishing for bass, walleye, crappie (pronounced crop-eee) and muskie. On one particular day we were trolling for walleye and doing very well as we had close to the day's limit of 18 to 22-inch walleye on ice in the cooler. My client that day, was thrilled with his catch but he, still, had one desire - to catch a big walleye.

Always being one who would strive to please customers, I changed our technique in order to target larger fish. There is an old adage within the sport of fishing that says, "If you want to catch larger fish, use larger bait."
That's exactly what I did. Within minutes of changing to larger lures, my client was reeling in a fish.

This fish was different; however, as there was no bend in the rod. This fish made no last-ditch effort to head for the lake bottom as it neared the boat. Within a minute the fish was flopping on the floor at the rear of the boat. What kind of fish was it? A crappie, with proportions of about the same size of the lure, had decided to attempt the impossible and attack the lure kamikaze-style. This scenario repeated itself several times before we abandoned the effort and headed to the dock.

Now, years later, I am remembering this and, immediately, I was quickened to write down an analogous lesson from that day.

Those crappie, like all fish, have to eat to survive. They were just doing what comes natural - eating. But within the pea-sized and rudimentary brains of those particular crappie, was a "Yeah, I can eat that",impulse which never considered the realities of size and proportion. They saw an opportunity and they went for it!

Think about the many opportunities that God gives us in life and, when we see it, our first impulse is, "Oh, I can't do that." Maybe we think the opportunity looks to big, maybe we think it is intimidating or we think that the opportunity is beyond our capability. When a fish sees some food and is hungry, they do not think! Are we thinking to much?

The Apostle Paul writes...


"For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need."
Phil 4:13 NLT
Paul did not say, I think I can, he said, "I can..."
What is God asking you to do, that you have been reluctant to do because of your thinking? Paul said, "I can" because he knew that he could in Christ! His faith enabled a boldness in him by the power of the Holy Spirit.
With faith and action comes risk. Paul payed a high cost, he risked his own life and sometimes ended up on a hook. But, look at the results!
You have to eat in order to grow. In the Spiritual realm one grows by excercising their faith - no matter how small.
What about You? Step out in faith, saying, "In Christ, I can do it!"
Those crappies may have ended up on a hook, but their story ended up in this devotion...

No comments: