Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sandwich - Creating Margins and Empowering People


It's been called the sandwich generation and Robin and I are card-carrying members. Our days, currently, consist of getting the kids on the bus, working/ministry and then getting back home or to the hospital/nursing home to care for my aging parents. Is it OK to admit when I am tired?
One of my biggest faults and struggles in life is in the area of creating margins, in which I live my life. I always feel like a failure as a son, if I'm not meeting my parents' every need. I feel like I fail as a husband and father because when I'm tending to my parents, I can't always be with my wife and kids. Oh yeah, throw a printing job, the ministry and college student in there for good measure. When I focus on one, the other is left lacking.
However, I am learning. Last Sunday, I was blessed when someone wanted to inform me of how they were planning to proceed with a ministry they had been both called to and, subsequently, placed in leadership of. They knew that I was running close to the margin in that area of my life and just wanted to keep me, "In-The-Loop" without requiring anything from me. Talk about a breath of fresh air. They allowed me that space to say, I can't but I know that you can! Double blessing!
I think one of the largest failings in ministry is when we fail to empower people and give them opportunity to serve within their gifts and talents. This person, who was so gracious to me on Sunday, has such gifting and I can prayerfully and confidently send him to that particular ministry with a proverbial pat on the back and a, "Atta Boy - Go get 'em!".
One of the greatest blessings of serving such a great God is found in the fact that we don't have to know it all, or do it all. The far greater good comes from the fellowship of learning from each other and watching God develop skills within the church body. There is a saying that says, " Less is more." I think that when we place margins in our life we accomplish so much more.
Now, if I could only get this post to have some margin between the paragraphs :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for an excellent article. Juggling all the balls without dropping them is such a challenge for all caregivers, no matter what situation God has you in. And learning to let others help us is so hard sometimes! Thanks for the good reminder.

I had to chuckle about your last comment re: the margins. Don't know what it is about blog software, but it can be a bear at times, can't it! :) I don't know if you've tried this, but I use Windows Live Writer to type my posts in, then upload them into my blog. It sometimes "fights" with me as well, but not nearly as much as when I try to type directly into the blog itself. :) I highly recommend it!

Have a blessed day.