Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Being Ahead While Thinking You're Behind


A friend of mine said something today that really stuck with me. I guess it struck me as it did because I had just been thinking along the same line earlier this morning. I was remembering reading about the Apostle Paul and how he was a tent-maker. His livelihood did not come from the ministry. He even went on to say that he (paraphrased) earned his way and was not a burden to the churches.


With that still fresh in my mind, my friend (a fellow minister) was expressing his congratulations, as my wife had a job interview today and will begin working at a local Christian bookstore on Monday. This is a tremendous blessing because it takes two secular incomes to keep the Kidd family afloat and in the ministry. But what struck me, specifically, was when my friend expressed his belief that there will be an increasing number of tent-maker ministers in the days to come. At first, I thought, that doesn't sound like faith, but as I pondered his statement, I came to realize that while God has promised to take care of us, he has never said how he will take care of us. Perhaps, that provision will come, increasingly, disguised as a job outside of vocational ministry.


If that will be the case, and I do not know if it will be, I guess already having a job is just another one of God's many blessings.
You know something? I really believe God has this whole thing called life under control. I'll be chewing on this one for a while...

No comments: