Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Playing Games

Our Son, Alex has been saving his birthday, allowance and other gifts of money in order to buy a Nintendo Wii. He finally had enough cash saved this past week and my wife went to the game store and bought his Wii. He loves it. Although I'm not much of a gamer, I do like playing the bowling, golf , boxing (I'm told I'm hilarious to watch with that one) and baseball games.
Alex is getting quite good at bowling. Just a few minutes ago, he scored 214.

Even though playing games is fun and gives us opportunities to spend time together as a family, too much game playing would bring negative results. Picture this. A child is so involved in a game that there is drool running out of the corners of his mouth. Sound ridiculous? I've seen it!

There is good game playing and then there is playing games. We, all too often, play games with people, ourselves and, yes, even God. In my devo's today, I was reading the account of Jesus and Judas in the Upper Room. The message paraphrase has Jesus, telling Judas, "Don't play games with me." It made me think. Am I serious about my relationship with Jesus? In what areas of my life am I still playing games with God?

We've been entrusted with too great a message and too little time to spread it to be playing games.

No comments: