Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

I Ate A Banana Today

Yep, you read that correctly. I ate a banana today. No doubt you're reading this and thinking, "so what? Eating a banana is a big deal for me, I seldom, if ever, eat fruit. So, why the change?I've been in a class this semester called Authentic Christianity and it is challenging me to lead a more disciplined life.

One might imagine that a class with a title like that, would most readily apply to one's spiritual life. Indeed it does, and does it very well. However, I have been thinking that if I can't be disciplined in my physical body, how can I be disciplined in the spiritual realm?

This week in my devotions, I'm looking closely at those few days of Jesus' trial, death and resurrection. When I came to Matt 26:41 I read were Jesus told the disciples to "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing , but the body is weak." NIV

This verse got me thinking. "OK, what if the body is stronger?" I'm not talking about our fleshly nature, but the strength of our physical bodies. What would it do for my spiritual man if I had more energy, more focus and more stamina. Might I be able to pray more, read more of God's Word, think more, love more, and do more?

I also was thinking about the growing churches that I have been watching. Coincidentally most of those churches have leadership teams consisting of health and fitness "nuts" (I use that term in a most loving way). I wonder if they have known something that I'm just beginning to realize?

So today, before lunch, I got hungry and instead of the Star Crunch or Fudge Round (named for the shape that eating them regularly will make you), I opted for a banana. I have not eaten a banana since I was a child.

You're probably thinking, "It's just one banana on one day, what's that going to do?" Granted, one banana instead of a sweet treat, will not do much, but it is a start. Hey, one prayer on one day probably isn't going to make God's glory fall either, but one prayer is a start.

Maybe later I'll try eating a grape.

No comments: