Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

In Spite of Us

I've been thinking about God's blessings and favor. Yesterday, as I do on most Wednesdays, I spent the day with my lead pastor. In addition to taking care of business, it gives us a chance to pray together, think together and dream together.

During one 30 minute portion of the afternoon, we witnessed God's blessings and favor as God miraculously provided for our church. It was amazing. I use to think that I had to earn God's favor - that it was contingent on what I did and/or refrained from doing. I've come to realize that while I'm being transformed into the image of God's Son, while there is still elements of my human nature on display in my life, God loves me so much that he chooses to bless me. He does this even when all I am doing is trying.

Yesterday's blessings really shouldn't have come as a surprise. God does things like that for all of us. Beyond and more important than finances, provision and blessings is, as Peter put it, "The goal of our Faith, the salvation of our souls. Romans 5:8 says that "God showed his love for us, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us". We didn't earn it and we didn't deserve it. But God is always faithful!

It's easy to get caught up in our human efforts. These will always disappoint. God's favor will never disappoint.

No comments: