Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Oh Stink

The place was nice. I walked through the front door and noticed the ornate trim work on the walls. The decor matched the name on the sign and the aromas emanating from the kitchen were enticing. But a meal was not my priority at that moment. I needed that one room which can be found in all public establishments. Yep, I'm talking about the men's room.

It didn't take me long to navigate the aisles and find my destination. I pushed open the door and... UGGHHH - it hit me like a shovel in the face. Behind the fancy oak door was a room reminiscent of the 60's. The room had green mason walls with bulky white caulk, chipped linoleum floor and a smell that reminded me of my Aunt's outhouse in her cow pasture.

As I stood there and pondered the incongruities of the environments that opposed each other on both sides of the men's room door, I thought about how often I have been like that. I may have appeared to be polished on the outside but deep inside, there was a foul-smelling and dingy room which was my heart.

God has done amazing things in my life and He has brought me a long way from the man that I used to be, but, I never want to stop moving away from that man. A whiff of that stench was a reminder that everyday is a choice and a chance to become more of what God wants me to be and less of what He doesn't.

No comments: