Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Charisma Vs Character

My devotions on Thursday found me in Matthew chapter 7. While I was reading the passage where Jesus was warning of false prophets, I was considering how The Message uses the contrast between a speaker-minister-prophet's charisma and their character.

For years, I have been concerned with an apparent lack of charisma in my teaching and preaching. I have never been a pulpit pounder and our sound guys know to crank my mic way up to compensate for my counselor's voice. However, this passage spoke to me.

I'm not going to get into any discussion on the accuracy of The Message paraphrase; however I will say that the Holy Spirit did illuminate this passage to my heart and mind this week.

My Takeaway- Charisma is all fine and good; however, it can be faked. Character cannot be faked - one's true character will always come out. I don't want God to build anything in the ministry he has placed me in based on my charisma (or lack of it).

My Prayer - I pray that God will enable me to be a man of good character - character that is being transformed into the character of Jesus Christ, so that God may be glorified in everything I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this. I was doing a Google search on Charisma vs. Character and found your blog. As a pastor I experienced your same concern about charisma or lack thereof in leadership/preaching.

I don't know if you have heard of Art Katz but he wrote a book called "Apostolic Foundations" and talks about this very thing in a chapter on preaching.

Blessings,
Jamie