Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My Brown Leather Jacket

I wore my brown leather jacket today. So what, you ask? I really like my brown leather jacket. Not because it is brown, not because it is leather and not because it is warm. Granted, I do like those things about the jacket; however, I really like the jacket because of a memory that is attached to it.

Robin and I were speaking at a marriage retreat during which the weather suddenly turned cold. Normally that would not have been a problem, except for the fact that I had forgotten to pack a jacket. During the retreat, we were going to spend the day as couples outside, going from place to place and enjoying the fellowship.

It soon became apparent to some of the couples that I didn't have a jacket and only a few minutes passed before a couple approached us and offered me one. "My husband brought an extra jacket, so it's no problem," the wife explained as she smiled. Her husband handed me the jacket and said, "This will keep you warm."


I wore the jacket all day. Actually, it was the first time I had ever wore genuine leather. I caught myself lifting one of the sleeves to my nose on several occasions throughout the day.

At the end of the day when it was time for each couple to go their separate ways, I took off the jacket and attempted to hand it back to it's gracious owner. "Nah, it's yours," the husband insisted. I began to protest but soon realized that any attempts to give back the jacket was futile.

The gift was so touching, that I smile every time I even see the jacket hanging in our closet. The gift was a sacrifice from someone who loved God, given to someone who had a need. Not only did I need a jacket that day, but the gift was needed as I had very few jackets in my wardrobe.

The writer of Hebrews reminds us of what pleases God.



 "And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need. 
These are the sacrifices that please God."
Hebrews 13:16 NLT

The gift of the jacket no doubt pleased God. Thank you God. Thank you Chuck.


No comments: