Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Time to Fight

I hate getting sick, being sick and everything that comes with being sick. The aches, the pain, the fatigue  All of the symptoms of illness wear on you. I don't like it for me or for anyone that goes through it.

Of all the things that I dislike about being sick, the worst, for me, is losing my "Fight". We have an enemy who knows when the worst possible time for an illness in our bodies is. I'm convinced he waits until a physical illness has us down then he starts or resumes his crap in our lives, our families, those we love and our ministry.

It is amazing how easily he can still creep into our lives, especially when we are sick.

I have been down with respiratory problems for almost 2 weeks. Last night some people let us borrow a nebulizer and Robin gave me a breathing treatment right before bed.

Apparently, I've been oxygen deprived, because, after a great night of sleep, I awoke this morning angry.

How is that a good thing? Well, for starters, while ill I was looking at problems like they were too large, too intimidating and I felt hopeless. I felt that way because I was sick.

When I woke up this morning, the Spirit of God rose up inside of me and prompted me to evaluate everything that I had said and did for the last 2 weeks against the vision and calling God has given me.

I was mad! I was walking around my living room rebuking Satan in the name of Jesus, renouncing his authority over the areas of our lives and ministry that are experiencing trouble.

It felt good as hopelessness began to give way to fight again. That's who I am! I've never physically fought anyone in my life; however, I'm usually up for a spiritual battle, which is common for you and I as Christians.

"For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere."
(Ephesians 6:12-18 NLT)

In many ways I think I was asleep without my fight for a long time, much longer than I care to admit.

But I'm awake now and there is a battle to be won.




No comments: