Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

God- The Father and fathers

"but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15b TNIV)

Yesterday, I observed something that really made me think. A new family attended one of our services and sat engaged in the message. Upon the conclusion of the message, when the invitation was given, I saw every member of the family shift forward in their seat and look down the pew to thehusband/ father for approval. The father didn't budge, so the entire family settled back into the pew. I asked myself, what would have happened if that father had lead by example? We could have witnessed the start of a revival as a whole family accepted Christ!

As a father, I know the importance of being an example. I also know that I haven't always been the best example. However, knowing that, prompts me to strive towards living what I believe in words and actions.

If the Holy Spirit was tugging on Robin's or one of our children's heart - drawing them towards a deeper relationship with Christ, I would want to be their strongest encourager. I would race Robin or the kids to the altar. Men, as husbands and fathers, we need to set the spiritual tone for our families. Statistics prove that over 90% of family members will follow suit when their husband/father steps it up with Christ and lives that commitment in his daily life.

Part of setting the spiritual tone involves observing the spiritual climate within our spouse and children and seizing opportunities for growth. Spiritual growth does not take place by accident, it is intentional and we must be prayerfully aware of when and where its happening.

I believe that the family that sat in the service yesterday was ripe for God-The Father, to do something amazing in their lives. I also prayerfully believe that God will speak to that father's heart and he will set an example for his entire family.

God wants a relationship with every person on the earth. The Father wants to show his love to every family and person. I believe that fathers can be the key agents of that love and relationship, if they choose to do so.

For Marriages and Families

Dave





No comments: