Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Raising Contenders

Ps 127:3-5 NIV
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.
Have you ever had one of those months when everything seemed to be going wrong and even when people rallied in support, you still felt alone, vulnerable and weak. My mothers death, one month ago, ushered in such a time in my life. Often, in these times, one feels distracted and is unable to concentrate. Even things that one typically enjoys doing have less appeal. Subsequently, ant-hills become mountains as the most simple problem appears to be unsolvable.
I have used the above passage before; however, I want to focus on the last line. With Father's Day approaching I want to emphasize that children raised to love and honor God will not be put to shame when they face their enemies. As Christians we have a common enemy and he always seeks to steal, kill and destroy every person and every family.
This week, I received a private message from one of my sons that simply stated that he loves me and is praying for me. With all that I have faced and am continuing to face, it is exciting to watch as one of my "arrows" is flying straight at the heart of the enemy on my behalf.
I cannot think of a better Father's Day gift.

No comments: