Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Stuff

Les Miserables
Went to see 2 performances of Les Miserables at West Branch High School this past week. Wow! That's the first word that came to my mind. I've seen Les Mis in Toronto with a professional cast, and, actually, I think I enjoyed West Branch's performances more. Such a talented group of students. Great lighting, effects, revolving stage and the works.

I came home from Saturday evenings performance and said a prayer to thank God for giving me the ability to hear and appreciate the melodies, harmonies and the haunting lyrics of the show.

The over-arching theme of the show is redemption. The main character, Jean Val-Jean is a convict, who broke his parole and changed his life for the better. He later confessed his true identity to save an innocent man. Key to his changed life was a bishop, who made a gift of some silver for Val-Jean to become an honest man. That act of kindness changed Val-Jeans life!

When we look at people who have suffered, by their own doing or others, what have we done to show them mercy, love and to offer them a second chance. Isn't that what Christ did for us? Did he not offer us a second chance? And, a third, fourth, fifth...

1 comment:

Andy Warren said...

Dave - wow - glad you were able to go! I struggle to stay awake during High School presentations...