Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

If Jesus Came To Walmart

OK. I'll admit it, I'm on facebook a lot. I enjoy the encouragement from God's Word - posted by individuals from their daily devotions. I enjoy connecting with people that I do not and cannot physically see and communicate with on a regular basis. I enjoy the connectivity!

One thing that I have noticed in the connections through facebook, that has me greatly concerned lately, is the fact that some of God's people have become lulled to sleep by an exclusionary gospel and have limited Christ's love to people who are, to them, acceptable. Some have become incredibly and especially cruel towards the people who shop at Walmart. We shop at Walmart - extensively and, yes, we also shop at Save-A-Lot and Aldi's.

Every time I go into any one of these stores, I pray that God would give me the eyes of Christ, that I might be a blessing to someone, that I might touch someones life. I think of the Apostle's Paul's words to the church in Rome, to which he wrote,



"Live in harmony with each other. Don't be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people.
And don't think you know it all! "
Rom 12:16 NLT

If I can't enjoy the company of ordinary people, then I can't even enjoy my own company because I'm as ordinary as they come. In fact, if I'm completely honest, most of the people who I encounter at Walmart are, simply, real people with real needs and real feelings. If Jesus was physically on the earth, I think his favorite place would be Walmart. He always went where the needs were.
It doesn't matter what people look like, dress like, what their manners are like, how they interact or fail to interact with us. What matters is that Jesus loves them and we are the only ones who can carry his love to them. When it comes right down to it, "them" is US.
 
If Jesus came to Walmart
with aisles and aisles to shop
the need would move him to compassion
he wouldn't dare think to stop.
 
 
The next time you are in Walmart, as you shop, notice the people around you, smile and say, "Hi". Grab an item from the top shelf that an elderly woman is trying to reach. Wave at the kids that are waiting impatiently in the carts. Show everyone Christ's love. When you do, Jesus will indeed be walking the aisles of Walmart.

No comments: