Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Living It Loud


"Let us not become weary in doing good , for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." Galatians 6:9-10 NIV

It was an interesting weekend. I had the opportunity to spend a couple days with some great guys at a convention. While there, in between sessions on Saturday, I was enjoying a large french vanilla latte - foo foo coffee I know. As I was walking along, browsing the various ministry tables, a guy who I recognized from various district ministry functions came up to me and asked me where I purchased my coffee.
When I answered, he asked if they take debit cards - that was a question I didn't know the answer to, so I said, "If they don't, I'll buy you one." I proceeded to follow him to the cafe' during which time an acquaintance of his joined him. While he was standing in line, I heard him ask his friend if he knew me - He did not. They were both giving me a suspicious eye while I waited several yards to the side of the line, ready to make good on my offer if needed. Once I saw that they did take debit cards, I walked away.

Fast-forward to Sunday morning. Within a half mile of our church building while driving to church, our son noticed an elderly woman frantically waving her arms as she struggled to get out of her car which was off of the road in the yard of a business. Within minutes, we had two men from our church at the scene and pulled her car out of the yard and back onto the road.

I drove her car to her church while this dear saint rode with one of the guys that had helped. Confused and scared, she needed our comfort most of all. Her car, being damaged, would no longer safe to drive, so we waited with her at her church for someone to come and unlock the doors for the morning services.


I was proud of our guys from the church for their willingness to help and their servant's heart. I was also amazed at the surprise and shock that the woman had that we would be willing to help a stranger. To us, not helping was unthinkable. To her, us helping seemed strange.

It doesn't matter if people think you're a crazed psychopath who randomly offers to buy someone a cup of coffee, or a stranger who isn't afraid of a little mud on a Sunday morning. Our faith and our God commands us to be ready to serve, especially those who are knit together with us as Christians.

Live your faith loud - words whisper but ACTIONS SCREAM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!