Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

God's Got This!

Really enjoyed the week off, spending time with family and checking out the sights at D.C. Our vacation was unexpectedly extended one more day as my van's alternator decided to get to the business of dying about 20 minutes out of D.C. Having replaced it before, we knew it was a costly repair. I decided that we were going to get as far away from the city as we could. Robin and I were praying that we would make it somewhere safe, were we could get it repaired.

Enter God

As we neared Hagerstown, MD, the alternator gave up and the van quickly began sputtering as the battery voltage dropped too low to run the fuel pump properly. At this point, our prayer efforts went into overdrive.

We were using a borrowed GPS unit that was doing a great job at turn-by-turn directions. It was programed to guide us home. As the van began to sputter, the GPS unit told me to take the next exit. After exiting, the GPS directed me to turn right in 800 yards and, upon achieving that distance, directed me into the parking lot of a Hampton Inn, where the van completely died.

Looking around, I noticed a sign that said Byrd's Auto repair on a building right next to the Motel. Being a Sunday evening, it was closed. Long story short, we stayed the night at The Hampton Inn, swam in the pool, ate pizza and enjoyed a complimentary hot breakfast. The repair shop replaced the alternator for $150.00 less than expected and we were again on our way.

When I arrived back at the church office, there was a envelope in my mailbox which contained a check. Someone on Sunday morning, before we had even left D.C., felt led to give me and my family a love gift which covered most of the repair bill.

God is always in control! Looking back, when asked about what she liked most about our vacation, our daughter Kaitlin answered, "Staying at the Hampton Inn".

God's Got This!

No comments: