Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Celebrating Too Soon

 Are we celebrating too early? (Long but heartfelt)


This has been weighing on my heart a lot lately, ever since I posted the picture of myself getting baptized as a young child. 


We've all seen the videos. A single athlete, a sports team and even their fans, start celebrating a point, bucket, touchdown or a home run too early, only to be disappointed by an amazing defensive play, rebound, tackle or catch from someone on the opposing team.


We've also seen the footage on the olympic stage of skiers, snowboarders or runners who slow down or start to celebrate before crossing the finish line only to be bested by another competitor who took advantage of their mistake.


There is to be rejoicing in the Christian's life too, but not too early. I used to get thrilled at the instance of someone saying yes to Jesus or getting water baptized. That still is something that I look forward to, but I don't celebrate it quite as much and I celebrate it for a shorter duration of time. 


What? Even the angels celebrate when someone gives their life to Christ! Do they? Let's see...


"In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Jesus in Luke 15:10


Who what? Repeats a prayer, gets dunked underwater, starts going to church, adds Christian activities into their schedule? No, they rejoice over repentance. Repentance is transformational, it's turning away from an old and dead way of life and turning towards life - real life that is only offered by way of Jesus Christ. 


I've been thinking about my years in ministry. I have had the privilege of baptizing a lot of people. All of them took the class, all of them could explain back to me what it meant to be baptized, from a biblical point of view. Some have walked in transformational repentance and the angels did rejoice. Some, however, went into the hot tub dry and came out wet and, sadly, that is all. Some, the previous sentences not withstanding, view baptism as a kind of confession and feel the need to repeat it, often.


The church I pastor, in previous years, has had it's name listed on success lists for numbers of water baptisms. It hasn't in the most recent years and I suspect it may never again. Why? Because, for myself, personally, and for the church I pastor, it is no longer a metric of success. 


What is success? What is worth celebrating? There is a young man in the church I pastor who did not grow up in a Christian home or church, yet after his conversion, baptism, discipleship and mentoring, he lives out his faith at home, at work, in the church, in the community, in his words and in his actions. That is worth celebrating.


Do I believe in water baptism? Absolutely! It is included in the great commission. But it will be reserved for those who really intend to follow Jesus with their whole heart and life. 


Why is all this important? Jesus' main message was "Repent". I fear that we have dumbed his message down to a more palatable, "Raise your hand and say a prayer. If we celebrate too early, many people may not make it across the finish line. 


Much love and prayers,


D

No comments: