Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Stretching...

It was like walking down a vaguely familiar hallway, fumbling for a set of keys and then trying to remember which key would unlock the door. I purposely haven't blogged, haven't walked down the writing hallway for quite some time. I had to remember how to access this blog again, fumbling through passwords until I finally got in. Why, you ask?

This past spring, I realized something. I was becoming content to sit at a desk, pounding away on a keyboard - writing about making a difference, rather than actually making a difference. I wanted to touch lives, real flesh and bone people, who needed touched as much or more as I needed God to touch them through me.

Recently, my family and I went with the youth group from our church on a 10-day missions trip. What I learned during the trip is beginning to change my life and my ministry. While I was happy to write a few paragraphs each day, hoping that the words would touch someones life, I now realize even more, that people need to see Christ's love, care and concern for them in felt ways - not just words on a page.

This change required some stretching, no, major stretching, for me. On the trip, I found myself talking with strangers on the street; something that I was never comfortable doing. Can I tell you that it is scary when God shatters our comfortable little bubble that we tend to stay in.

My prayer this summer, has been that God uses me not only to reach people, but continues to give me a genuine love for people. I am adding to that prayer that God will use me both through writing and ministering personally to people. Reaching people takes many approaches, from all of us who bear Christ's name.

Have you been stretched lately?

No comments: