Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Driving Lesson for Life


" No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Cor 10:13 NIV


This afternoon, our son, Brandon and I were on our way to a doctor's appointment and a hospital visitation call. My van was slowly crawling up a grade and just as we made it to the top we noticed that the road ahead of us was covered with cars and trucks in every direction. I dropped the van into low gear and tapped the brakes and eventually came to a sliding stop well behind the mess of vehicles. Looking in my mirror, I noticed that I couldn't see over the top of the hill that was just behind us.

I immediately drove the van into someones driveway to get off of the road. Just as I did, a car came over the hill top and instantly went into an un-controllable spin as the driver tried to get the car stopped. Had I stayed on the road, there would have been a collision.

I used the experience to teach our son about thinking ahead and foreseeing problems in driving. He learned a valuable lesson today. Maybe we both did. How many times do we find ourselves in a threatening situation, be it a temptation, a potential compromising position or some other sin and fail to remove ourselves from the situation? Instead of pulling into a drive and getting off of the road that the threat is on, we often fail to recognize the threat until it has overtaken us, or, at least comes way too close.


Just as that driveway was there for us to escape an accident, God says in his Word that he will provide a way for us to escape the temptations that come our way. Are you on the lookout for your escape route?

No comments: